20 January 2018

Dark, cold, icy Saturday Morning ride on the Salsa Beargrease

I was up out early this morning for a ride on the Salsa carbon Beargrease. It was cold and the further I went and the longer I was out it got colder and colder. The Garmin reached minus -4.7 degrees before I got back home and my water bottle was frozen. There was not nearly as much snow in Durham city centre than what there was at home so some of the tracks / paths were clean'ish in places. The Lupine Betty was working a treat and light up the way but in daylight (see next blog) I could see what I had been riding on! I hate it when the snow gets compacted down, half melted, refroze and turns out like polished wet glass / ice that you can not even stand up on. I had a few spins on the back wheel and took every corner steady but come a cropper on the hill up to Frankland farm where the full width of the track was an inch thick of solid ice for approx 10ft. I had to walk in the ditch/bushes at the side whilst pushing the bike up hill. All in just over 12 miles so not too bad for an icy loop around Durham. I only seen 3 people the whole time I was out and it was still pitch black when I got back in!
Below are a few photos from the ride, enjoy and more soon -




















No comments:

Post a Comment