17 January 2015

Wintery Saturday Morning ride up the Waskerley

Woke up to an overnight frost with a dusting of snow on the top. Didn't get out until after 8.30am and it was -2 degrees. I was planning on doing the ride on my Dale Super x for  change but the conditions were just too bad so took the Krampgrease instead. Steady ride over to Baxters Farm to join the old line upto Consett. I was flying going up as the ground was frozen solid but it was chilly and overcast. By the time I went through Lanchester the sun decided to pop out for a while but was gone by the time I reached Consett coal truck junction. I opted to turn left and headed up the Waskerley to Park Head as the wind did not seem too bad for a change. The snow was getting deeper as I climbed higher. It went very dark after the short wooded section, the temperature had dropped and there was a sleet shower. Time to turn and burn back home. Once I reached Consett again the frost had started to lift and the snow was melting as well. By the time I got back to Lanchester it has all melted and the frost had lifted out of the line. It was very soft/slower going and freezing cold black water on the top was not nice. All in just over 40miles and with an average speed of 12.6mph. Not too bad for a winters Saturday morning ride. Below are some of the photos I took during the ride. More soon, all the best -
Trails dusted in snow as I left the house

On the way to Baxters Farm

Uoto Consett today


Frozen and fast going under tyre

Dark skies in the distance

check out the wild rooming livestock



Sky dark Annfield Plain direction

and sunny up the Waskerley direction

Hownsgill Viaduct


Passed a few walkers and dog walkers

Quick photo break on the top of the second click up the line



Been a few up / down before me


snow starting to get deeper now

Todays turning point

Heading back to Consett

Slop off the melted lines

Plenty of freezing mucky spray as well

No comments:

Post a Comment