9 June 2016

New 'Adventure' Bike - what do I buy - *Updated*

When I was looking for a new winter road bike that you can fit full mudguards that also has clearance for wider summer tyres I ended up buying the Bowman Pilgrims which was advertised as clearance for up to 32c tyres and you could fit full mud guards. When it landed the clearances were tight to say the least. I can just about run 28c Gravel Kings with the mudguards fitted but as soon as you go off road and hit the dirt they clog up. Don't get me wrong I can use the Pilgrims in the winter with mudguards and 25c Conti 4 Seasons but I cannot get off road then 28c Gravel Kings with no mud guards in the summer but I wanted a more universal bike that could also use a wider tyre with guards in the winter so I can do road / off road routes.

So I am looking for another bike that can do both with more road geometry than cx geometry. I have seen the Boardman in the flesh and has proper mud guard eyelets and has the clearance but has cx geometry, the price was right when they were selling off the 2015 model but did not like the bright yellow colour. The 2016 CXR 9.8 model is much more pleasing to the eye but is not cheap at £1400 for framset or £3500 for complete bike.
I then was looking at the new Cannondale Touring range that has plenty clearance, comes with full mudguards, the right geometry. There are two models and the Ultimate rrp is £1900, a little pricey for an alloy framed / forked bike.


Then there is the GT Grade Carbon Ultegra rrp £2700 which is a carbon adventure bike, good spec, good geometry but I just don't like the shape of the frame.
 
Next on the list was the new Genesis Datum - several different models but I like the look / spec of the 30 model rrp £3200, clearance for 33c tyres & 45mm mudguards. They also do a frameset only option £1000 which is £400 cheaper than the Boardman frameset.

 
 
When Evans Cycles opened there Durham store I had a good look around and found some Norco Search bikes which have full carbon frame / forks and proper eyelets for full mudguards and good clearance for a fatter tyre. The Ultegra model had a cracking spec but the rrp was £2900, a week ago I got an email from Evans with some special offers on and this bike was included and dropped down to £1999 with over 5% Top Cash Back as well.
I have also found out that Search also comes in frameset option as well rrp £1100 down to £824 in the sale, now that is a good buy I you have a spare groupset and pair of wheels lying around. My decision might have been made!
- my order has landed at Evans yesterday and have been allocated a collection time late Saturday !!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment